In this episode, Sally Bunkham - founder of Mumsback, which provides luxury gift hampers for new mums - explains how she’s secured high-profile press coverage - in just ten months of being in business.
Here’s what you’ll learn in this episode:
- Sally’s business story - how getting pregnant two months after her first baby was born inspired her to start her business (2:09)
- How Sally pitched and partnered with online gift site Not On The High Street (3:55)
- Sally’s tips on getting accepted by a site like Not On The High Street (5:10)
- How Sally has created a profitable business in just 10 months (6:41)
- The impact of press coverage on Sally’s business success (7:16)
- Why Sally believes building relationships with journalists (and other influencers) is a long term game (12:22)
- Why Sally thinks it’s good to start with local press coverage (15:25)
- The importance of a great subject header in an email pitch (16:18)
- How Sally’s decision to give some of her profits to charity has helped her gain press coverage (19:20)
- The snowball effect: how one piece of press coverage can lead to another (21:36)
- Free resources that can help you get press coverage (20:00)
- What it’s really like to be a journalist - and how understanding this can help you get press (25:00)
- The impact of press coverage on Sally’s business (26:40)
- Why most people need 7 or 8 touchpoints with you before they buy - and what this has to do with PR (27:50)
- Why Sally believes you have to look beyond traditional PR when promoting your business (30:00)
- What kind of content you should be publishing on your website to attract traffic (31:00)
- Why you shouldn’t build your audience on social media (34:40)
- Tips on where to get started if you need more clients (34:06)
Sally’s website: Mumsback
Pre-registration for my online PR course Soulful PR for Starters
My blog post on how to land high-profile speaking opportunities
My article for the Guardian on what you should say to a friend who’s had a miscarriage
Episode 228: How to land your first TEDx talk with Helen Packham
Helen Packham’s article in the Independent: The three secrets which can make you good at public speaking
Episode 131: How to use media enquiry services
What to do next
If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it using the social media buttons at the top of this page.
I’d also love it if you could take a few minutes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes. I read every one personally and may even read yours out on the show.
And don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live.